External Internship Fund-Matching Program

To support the growth of internship opportunity for graduate students, the Division of Graduate Studies provides a Graduate Internship Matching Program for D.M.A., Ed.D., M.F.A., and Ph.D. graduate students.*

This program provides $2,000 needs-based fellowships to graduate students enrolled in their area’s terminal degree who accept an internship position by an outside agency that comes with a minimum stipend of $4,000 over three months. The outside agency can be a for-profit or non-profit company, a government organization, a campus business or academic support unit, or a campus center or institute funded by external grants or gifts.

The graduate student who qualifies for this matching program is:

  • Currently enrolled in the terminal degree program
  • Has advanced to candidacy if a doctoral program student
  • Has demonstrated need for the funding

The internship program must offer a professional development opportunity that is appropriate for the student’s area of study but is not a simple extension of current research or other graduate work.

This program is designed for three-month internships over the summer quarter; however, internships of longer duration or over the academic quarters will also be considered.

Graduate students, in partnership with the organization providing the internship, can apply for the $2,000 in matching support by sending an email to the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies with:

  • Name of the graduate student
  • Graduate student’s degree program and current status in the program
  • Name of the organization providing the internship
  • Stipend or funding provided to the graduate student by this organization (must be at least $4,000 over three months)
  • Brief description (up to 500 words) of the internship opportunity and how it fits into the graduate student’s professional goals
  • Description of need for the funding by the student (e.g., loss of TA, GSR, or GSI income during summer)

*The internship matching program is not open to M.A. or M.S. program students.